Monday, November 17, 2008

Interlibrary loan assignment

The book that I received through interlibrary loan is entitled, Political Corruption in America: an encyclopedia of scandals, power, and greed. The book was written by Mark Grossman. I didn’t request the book because it had one specific fact or because it was solely based on lobbying alone but rather that included throughout the book were various examples throughout history when lobbying has led to corruption. Examples of negative lobbying included in the book range from the 1800’s to the 21st century. Also discussed in the book are various acts made by congress to combat the corruption that can result from crooked politicians.
I don’t think the book was as beneficial as I thought it would be when I had requested it through interlibrary loan last month. I think around that time I was still quite open minded on the idea of lobbyist involvement in government and saw the book as an argument for the opposition on the topic. The book, however, did make my opposition towards big business lobbying stronger in that it reinforced the idea that lobbying has just as long of a history in our government as our government has itself. The idea that this practice is so engrained into our system continues to be somewhat unnerving, however, I am still willing to hold out hope that indeed it does have a purpose and that that purpose is a good one.

No comments: